Buttery shortbread crust with a luscious, zesty lemon filling bursting with flavor, these lemon bars can brighten up a dull day !
When you want to put together a fancy dessert but don’t want to spend hours making it, try making these !
Why am I calling them the best- you wonder? It is a dessert filled with citrus deliciousness. A tangy and tart lemon filling baked on a shortbread crust and dusted with powdered sugar, it is bursting with flavor making these the best lemon bars you will ever try!
Lemon is my second favorite flavor in dessert. The first is chocolate as you already know! Lemon is a such a powerful flavor, can pack a punch in a few drops and elevate a simple looking dessert to a crowd-pleaser. Specially if you have friends who say they don’t like sweets (I don’t know what that means though!), make them try these and they will be asking for more.
If you are looking for an eggless recipe with lemon, do try these Muffins.
- For the crust:
- 1 cup cold butter, cut in small pieces
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 1½ cups Flour
- For the filling:
- 1 cup sugar
- ¼ cup flour
- 4 Eggs
- ¾ cup of lemon juice
- zest of 2-3 lemons
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees C
- Add the butter, sugar and flour in a bowl and beat it for 1-2 minutes until it comes together and forms a dough ball
- Line an 8x8 inch pan with parchment paper and press this dough onto it to make it even
- Bake the crust for 15-18 minutes until lightly golden brown.
- Meanwhile, combine the sugar, flour, 4 eggs, lemon juice and zest in a large bowl and whisk well.
- Once the crust has baked, pour the filling onto the crust
- Put the pan back in the oven for 20-22 minutes until the filling has just set
- Cool completely and slice into 12 equal squares. Dust with powdered sugar just before serving