You just have to try these awesome cookies! I suggest you make these jumbo sized because the smaller size just won’t be enough for your cookie cravings!
It’s raining non-stop since 2 days in Mumbai. I want nothing more than to cuddle up in my bed with a blanket and a hot cup of tea with a plate full of cookies. Since that isn’t happening, I thought would bake a batch of cookies anyway and take them with me to work and munch on them in my tea breaks.
And boy, was that a good decision! Not only are these lovely cookies keeping me company but also my colleagues! So we are having warm conversations during the gloomy days and these are just the perfect accompaniment.
There is an added advantage that they are healthier too- made from wholewheat and oats with cranberries and prunes thrown in for good measure. If you don’t have these handy, use any other dried fruits or berries, they will still taste yumm!
- ½ cup butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup brown sugar/ castor sugar
- 1 egg (you can also use a flax egg to make this eggless)
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- ¾ cup wholewheat flour or APF
- 1.5 cups instant oats
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- A pinch of salt
- 70gm chopped cranberries and 70gm chopped prunes
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg and vanilla.
- Combine the sifted flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in the oats and the chopped cranberries and prunes. If mixture feels too wet add a spoon of flour and adjust accordingly.
- Shape into 2 inch balls (yes, yes, these are going to be jumbo!!) Place 2 inches apart on baking tray lined with parchment paper.
- Bake at 175° C for 14-15 minutes or until golden brown. Cool for 1-2 minutes before removing to wire racks.