Hey folks! How have you been?
Firstly, I apologize I have been AWOL on you for almost 2 months now, haha.. But I have some great news to share. We have recently moved into our new house and moving into a new place can be both exciting and tiring at the same time. Now that I can finally say I am somewhat settled, I am going to get back to baking and posting like never before. At least that is the goal. Now that I have a bigger counter, especially for clutter-free baking, I am sure I will be more tempted!
To make up for my absence, I bring to you these gorgeous looking and even better tasting Lemon crinkle cookies. They are also egg-free so perfect for everyone who loves citrus flavors.
If you have been around on my blog enough, by now you have already figured that I am crazy for lemon in my bakes. Check out my lemon bars and eggless lemon blueberry muffins. Only after chocolate of course, chocolate stays as my first love. But these lemon crinkle cookies are fresh, bright and perfectly zingy for that extra kick. Lemon based desserts are usually liked by those who are not fond of sweets too. Win-win!
These cookies pack a burst of lemon flavor, soft and gooey on the inside. Use fresh lemon for that awesome flavor and avoid the artificial flavoring if you can, it doesn’t need any. So get baking and let me know if you try them!
- 1½ cup All purpose flour
- ¾ cup Sugar
- ½ cup salted Butter
- 1.5 tsp Baking Powder
- ¼ cup + 2 tablespoons Milk
- 2 tbsps Fresh Lemon juice
- Zest of 1 lemon
- ½ cup Icing or powdered sugar
- Few drops of yellow food colour (optional)
- In a large bowl, beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy for about 2-3 minutes.
- Then add the lemon juice, milk and lemon zest and beat again for about a minute.
- In another bowl, sieve together the flour and baking powder.
- Fold in the flour into the wet mixture and mix until a dough is formed. You may adjust the consistency by adding a couple of spoons of flour or milk accordingly.
- Refrigerate the dough for 30 minutes to an hour. This makes it easy to work with.
- After the dough is firm enough, preheat the oven to 180°C for 10 minutes.
- Scoop the dough into 1 inch balls and roll them in the icing sugar and arrange on a baking tray 2 inches apart from each other to allow them space to spread while in the oven.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes until slightly firm.
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes and then transfer them on to a cooling rack. Let them completely cool then store in an airtight container.