Bite sized, pretty looking edible flower pot cookies are sure to impress everyone! Cookie cups filled with your favorite frosting and crushed chocolate cookies.
There is something about Mother’s day and flowers! Maybe it has to do something with spring or just that the special lady in your life deserves pretty flowers on this special day! Though I am sure you don’t need a reason to make you wonderful Mommy feel special, I wouldn’t miss out on this opportunity as well.
With a few days to go for Mother’s day I thought of bringing to you something simple and pretty, something that you can manage even last minute with handy ingredients. As I believe, nothing expresses love better than homemade gifts. While browsing Pinterest for ideas, which is my favorite thing to do when I am bored, I came across this lovely idea to make something special for Mother’s day.
These cookies are surprisingly quick, easy and look so gorgeous! Little flower pots filled with “dirt “ and a pretty flower- I am sure your mom or your kids alike will love them.
Simply make the dough and roll into ½ inch balls. Put them in the mini muffin tray, or go bigger, no one will complain 🙂
Make an indent in the center of the dough ball with a blunt object like the end of a ladle or your thumb and bake.
Fill up with any leftover frosting, chocolate chips, whipped cream, chocolate ganache or like me, you can even use Nutella. Crush some chocolate cookies or oreos so it resembles dirt, stick in a flower and voila, you have edible flower pots!
I used store-bought fabric flowers that I sometimes use for decorating gifts. You can use piped royal icing flowers, fresh flowers, paper flowers, fondant flowers or even put only mint leaves on top of the soil.
Try these for birthday parties, baby showers or even just coz you want to celebrate spring- they will be perfect as I can’t stop telling you, they look too pretty!
If you looking to buy a mini muffin pan, you can get it here.
- 1 cup All purpose flour (Maida)- You can use part wholewheat and part APF
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon Baking soda
- ½ cup butter
- ¼ cup brown sugar (white granulated sugar will work too)
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons milk
- You will also need ¼ cup nutella (or any other frosting) and 2-3 crushed oreos or chocolate cookies
- Preheat the oven 180 degree C. Carefully grease the cavities of the mini muffin tray.
- Sift all the dry ingredients in a bowl.
- Take softened butter in another bowl. Add sugar and beat it until it is light and creamy for about 2 minutes.
- Add vanilla extract and milk and mix until incorporated.
- Add dry ingredients slowly and mix until it combines and forms a dough. Chill for 10-15 minutes for easy rolling.
- Make ½ inch size balls from chilled cookie dough and place into each cavity of the muffin pan. With your thumb, press down on the dough ball to create an indentation
- Bake them for 10-12 minutes in preheated oven or until the edges become golden brown.
- Once you take out the tray, press gently again if you need to create a larger indentation. Let the cookie cups cool in the tray completely before taking out.
- Once cooled fully, using a small spoon, fill center of each cookie cup with nutella or your choice of filling.
- Top with crushed oreos
- Stick the flowers to toothpicks using glue or tape and place at the centre of each cookie cup. Serve on a platter.